Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2004-12-29 8:38:13 pm

Vash The Stampede
Website

Is anyone else annoyed by all of these ports?

I am, I guess, one of the few people that have all or most of the SNES/NES games that are being ported to the GBA.  I hate how all these little kids are jumping on the bandwagon of these legendary games that I've loved for ages.  It just isn't fair!

http://forums.reg-exp.org

It's a small, fun forum.  If you'd like an invite, e-mail me.

#2 2004-12-29 10:52:31 pm

thac0nfus3done

Re: Is anyone else annoyed by all of these ports?

For example Zelda, and perhaps the donkey kong series? Eh it's not too bad it's just that they sometimes act like the game is just comming out and they make themselves sound like idiots.

~ thac0nfus3done

#3 2004-12-29 11:43:53 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I thought it was hillarious how the gaming news media was referring to Majora's Mask as "Zelda II".  Appearently, they've never heard of a little gray box called a NES.

I think Nintendo's "classic nes" crap is overpriced, since you are paying ~$20 for 256 kilobytes of data, compared with ~$30 for a 16MB Fire Emblem game.  You could just as well buy a GBA movie player or MBV2 cable to play those games on your GBA as well.
Jaleco's famicom re-releases of their classic games are actually a renamed version of Loopy and Flubba's PocketNes.  Let's hear it for public domain software which contains GPLed code being sold in japan!  (never mind all the Pirate GBA Cartridges that contain Pocketnes on them, evil pirates... Piracy is for free stuff, not for ripping people off for money.)

As for all the snes ports, yuck.  Make something original, or add enough new content to the game to warrant a fresh replay.  Super Mario Advance (aka doki doki panic) was the worst rehash I've ever seen.  They took the Snes version, gave mario a super-annoying voice, then dumbed down the difficulty level.  Maybe that's okay for 5 year-olds, but not for NES fans.

Speaking of old software getting ported over to new systems, Mario 64 DS had terrible control issues.  Terrible controls!  God awful controls!  If you try to do the side sommersault jump, you will always veer off 90 degrees to the right every time you turn around to do the jump.  It's quite fatal on the "Bowser in the Sky" final level.  At least they added a convenient 1-up location to Hazy Maze cave, really easy to get 30+ 1-ups with that super mushroom.
Another thing I dislike about Mario 64 DS is that many of the levels have simple step around everything paths to get stars quickly with no effort.  In wet-dry world, you can just be luigi and walk through the cage instead of completing the elevator puzzle.  Oh well... These are some of my longest posts to my own message board ever!

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#4 2004-12-30 12:02:30 am

thac0nfus3done

That is going to be a big problem for any Nintendo 64 port, or in fact really any game with 3d graphics. You really need an analog stick to do anything with 3D, not a D-Pad. I guess we will have to deal with it.

~ thac0nfus3done

#5 2004-12-30 1:42:48 am

leofox

I don't think there's anything wrong with the ports, it's nice that guys that don't have a snes can play a link to the past on their GBA. Though the prices are indeed to high for a game that has been released 10 years earlier.

#6 2004-12-30 11:12:50 am

Vash The Stampede
Website

last i checked it was $30 for an Snes, though that was a few years ago...

#7 2004-12-31 3:24:35 am

leofox

dubble dollar payed €5 for a snes with 7 games, on dutch queens day. ^_^

#8 2004-12-31 4:40:51 am

the $$600.000.000 man
Anime Otaku
Website

No it was 8,50 in total.
I saved half of the things I bought and sold the other half in Amsterdam and made €33,- ~ $33,-!!!!

This is troublesome... WHAAT?! THAT'S MY LINE!!!
66606738342b5fd477ef54.gifmario7bz.gif
UBAR proud membar of teh:
Banner%20copy.jpg

#9 2004-12-31 10:51:57 pm

Vash The Stampede
Website

Well, I beat all of you.  I got an original Atari 2600 with 6 joystick controllers, 2 paddle controllers, loads of games including: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Adventure, etc.  All with Instruction books.

All for $1 at a yard sale on my way back from Atlantic City.

#10 2005-01-01 10:30:06 am

Indogutsu
SUCK UGLY COCKI
Website

thac0nfus3done wrote:

That is going to be a big problem for any Nintendo 64 port, or in fact really any game with 3d graphics. You really need an analog stick to do anything with 3D, not a D-Pad. I guess we will have to deal with it.

By that logic, one could fairly easily port my two favorite Nintendo 64 games to the DS, Tetrisphere and The New Tetris, because neither use 3D movement. All N64 games use 3D graphics to one extent or another, however.

"I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics lately, trying to master all the jobs for my human characters, and it's even been showing up in my dreams. Last night I had a dream I was watching one of those stand-up shows on TV, and a comedian was doing a bit about, you guessed it, the battle on the roof of Riovanes Castle..." -Indo Tenbuki

"A pizza is worth a thousand words!" -Some penguin

#11 2005-01-01 7:44:40 pm

Vash The Stampede
Website

I doubt that the DS will be exclusively N64 ports though.  There should be some new games designed specifically for the D-pad soon.

#12 2005-01-02 1:16:36 am

the $$600.000.000 man
Anime Otaku
Website

Vash The Stampede wrote:

Well, I beat all of you.  I got an original Atari 2600 with 6 joystick controllers, 2 paddle controllers, loads of games including: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Adventure, etc.  All with Instruction books.

All for $1 at a yard sale on my way back from Atlantic City.

TAHT CATN BEEE TRURUHHHH!!! NO>!!!!

Banner%20copy.jpg

#13 2005-01-02 1:19:35 am

the $$600.000.000 man
Anime Otaku
Website

thac0nfus3done wrote:

For example Zelda, and perhaps the donkey kong series? Eh it's not too bad it's just that they sometimes act like the game is just comming out and they make themselves sound like idiots.

I heard THEY are making a total NEW Zelda for the DS!!!

Banner%20copy.jpg

#14 2005-03-11 3:46:28 pm

Un-J
NO PICTURE FOR ME
Website

Re-makes suck, but in a way, Miyamoto is having less and less say what goes on in the latest games. That could be a reason on their warryness of creating new games...

Ah well. But i mean hey, we really need a mario party XIII don't we? :P

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer