Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2013-04-22 2:37:41 pm

MrElephant

How to text edit in Dragon Warrior 1 Question

Hey everyone I did not see a question board so I am posting this here.  Move it if you have to.  I am just wondering how to edit the text in dragon warrior 1.
Thank you everyone for your patience.

Last edited by MrElephant (2013-04-22 2:38:17 pm)

#2 2013-04-22 4:49:36 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: How to text edit in Dragon Warrior 1 Question

Dragon Warrior 1 is very text edit friendly.  No pointers or anything like that, it simply counts the break characters to identify which block of text to display.  Find or make a .TBL file for Dragon Warrior, and use any hex editor that supports table files and go to it.
Just make sure you do not add or remove any bytes by mistake.

edit: relevant links:
Text table
List of hex editors

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2013-04-27 8:27:23 pm

MrElephant

Re: How to text edit in Dragon Warrior 1 Question

Whoa thanks for the reply.  I am new to hex editing but since you posted this I will give it a shot.  Thanks for the help Dwedit. I have kind of hex edited some other games like genghis khan (which I am looking for tools to edit the game besides a hex editor) but anyways now that this is posted I will give a go on this game.

Edit: I have a hex editor (goldfinger) but I cant insert my table with letters. Uppercase letters are allowed, but the lower case ones aren't showing up. Do you know what's going on?

Last edited by MrElephant (2013-05-03 5:10:26 pm)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer