Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2005-01-23 12:53:39 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Hey indogutsu!

Go make foolala into a flash movie already!  Despite being a slideshow with sound, there's some animutation comedic gold in there.

It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to figure out how to create a keyframe and import an image.
Also, I can't make it myself since flash destroys your excessively loud .wav file.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#2 2005-01-24 12:13:35 pm

Indogutsu
SUCK UGLY COCKI
Website

Re: Hey indogutsu!

If I were to send you the MP3 of the full song (saved in 96kbps) and all the images in GIF or PNG form (they are saved as XYZ files, which can only be recognized by RM2K) could you make the SWF file for me? I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Last edited by Indogutsu (2005-01-24 1:57:32 pm)

"I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics lately, trying to master all the jobs for my human characters, and it's even been showing up in my dreams. Last night I had a dream I was watching one of those stand-up shows on TV, and a comedian was doing a bit about, you guessed it, the battle on the roof of Riovanes Castle..." -Indo Tenbuki

"A pizza is worth a thousand words!" -Some penguin

#3 2005-01-24 8:58:08 pm

Bob Barker

I'd be willing too...

#4 2005-01-25 6:26:19 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I've already screencaptured all the images, but the hard part is timing them, adding keyframes, and tediously placing each image at 0,0.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#5 2005-03-05 10:27:13 pm

Quietust

Any status on this? If nobody else is going to convert this to Flash, I'd be willing to do it (assuming I can obtain the necessary software)...

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

#6 2005-03-10 4:51:48 am

Un-J
NO PICTURE FOR ME
Website

it would definitly get the toon to a larger audience...

#7 2005-03-28 8:44:45 pm

Quietust

Version 1 is complete, after about 2 days of capturing the images (run windowed, alt+prtscrn, crop off window border, reduce to 256 colors, shrink to 50%, save as PNG) and 1 day worth of timing (and general messing around with Flash to figure it out).

Known issues:
* The preloader doesn't work properly (bargraph doesn't animate, probably because I did something wrong)
* The "play the movie" button doesn't display correctly when not hovering over it (though the 'hover' image is nearly identical and uses the same parameters)
* The sound clips at the end have some cutoff problems.
* It's a bit large

Kindly refrain from linking to said SWF directly from qmt.ath.cx, since its bandwidth is somewhat limited.

Last edited by Quietust (2008-12-23 11:40:56 am)

#8 2005-03-28 10:02:20 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Sorry, I had ripped all the images in under 6 minutes with the help of a VB program and batch-converted them all to .png format.  I just gave up at the timing step.

Hey, can you send me the .fla file?  I could throw on my seekbar thingy with subtitles, or at least fix the preloader/add the music.  Go upload it somewhere and email/pm me the link.

#9 2005-03-28 10:49:59 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

(this post is blank until the file finishes uploading...)
Oh hell... go get the file from my next 2nd post...

Last edited by Dwedit (2005-03-28 11:53:35 pm)

#10 2005-03-28 10:59:42 pm

Quietust

Eh, I just tried it, and it didn't work.
In any case, I've uploaded the .fla and PM'ed you the URL. Whatever you do to fix it, let me know so I can remember how to do it properly in the future.

#11 2005-03-28 11:33:56 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Yeah, for some reason the .zip isn't downloading at all...  It still hasn't even started yet!

Anyway...
I threw on the preloader seek bar thingy, and replaced the old preloader with a Stop.

(removed file... uploading yet another foolala...)

Last edited by Dwedit (2005-03-29 11:51:20 pm)

#12 2005-03-29 12:37:11 am

Quietust

For whatever reason, the httpd running qmt.ath.cx (Apache 2.x) crashes constantly. Most of the time it manages to restart automatically, though most of the time I end up having to manually restart it. It should be up again now.

#13 2005-03-30 12:02:38 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

First I had to go download Macromedia Flash MX 2004 trial... fun.

I added the background music to the preloader (much harder to do than it sounds!), took out the seekbar/preloader bar, replaced it with a smaller seekbar that only appears when you mouseover the bottom of the movie.  Also fixed the simpsons quotes at the end.  Added sound effects to the buttons, and fixed the preloader play button.  Didn't touch the movie content itself at all, I wonder if I should export everything as lossless or not.  It might waste 400k or so, but there would be no jpeg artifacts.

Recommended to display the flash movie at 640x480.  I think it is now in good enough shape to be set loose onto Newgrounds, where it will promptly be blammed.  If not NG, I'm sure Albinoblacksheep will be happy to hotlink it, and give millions of people the impression that he created the content.

6 minutes long and 4 megs in size.

HTML: (forces 640x480) http://omega.cs.iit.edu/~dwedit/foolala/foolala3.html
SWF: (to download it) http://omega.cs.iit.edu/~dwedit/foolala/foolala3.swf

I'll go show it to Misteroo, although doing so might get me banned from Disaster Labs's forum.  I'm sure the ban list will go away the next time the board (phpbb with copyright date 2002) gets hacked again.

#14 2005-03-30 7:24:34 pm

RandomFerret
Website

Finally, I can say that I have seen every fanimutation ever made!
And for the graphical minimalism, there's some good stuff in there.
And how the heck did you get the Star Ocean snes rom to run? I never could, and it burns me up inside!

#15 2005-03-30 8:31:10 pm

Indogutsu
SUCK UGLY COCKI
Website

RandomFerret: You're not missing much. Play Star Ocean 2 for PlayStation instead. SO's a good game and all, but SO2 is better in every single respect.

As for Foo-La-La, I thank Quietust and Dwedit very much for their efforts, but I think Misteroo said it best (as much as it pains me to say it). The movie was never meant to be a serious fanimutation, it was just some dumb little thing I whipped up in a couple of days, using a program that wasn't designed to make movies to begin with, just so I could show my friends on another message board that said program can be used for something else. I mean, LOOK at it. It's a fanimutation without any animation. It's a fut.

Still, if you want to put it on Albinoblacksheep or even Newgrounds, be my guest. I'm not expecting Foo-La-La to get a cult following, or even be liked by fewer than half the people who watch it, or even SURVIVE. It's something I made for fun, not fame or prestige, and thus I invested a minimal amount of creativity into it. Now "Dragon Warrior IV: Renaissance," THAT'S my pride and joy.

Last edited by Indogutsu (2005-03-30 8:32:29 pm)

"I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics lately, trying to master all the jobs for my human characters, and it's even been showing up in my dreams. Last night I had a dream I was watching one of those stand-up shows on TV, and a comedian was doing a bit about, you guessed it, the battle on the roof of Riovanes Castle..." -Indo Tenbuki

#16 2005-03-30 8:48:44 pm

Quietust

Is it just me, or does Misteroo come off as being a complete and total asshole?

#17 2005-03-30 9:29:12 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I can't submit foolala to Newgrounds under someone else's name.  You'll have to create an account, and either give me the username/password, or submit it yourself in the 3 hours of 56k modem upload time.

I think DQ4 Rennisance would be much better if Nara wasn't fucking Miss Cleo!  That alone almost made me close the game in disgust.  Sure, she's a useless character, but you don't have to transform her into some scam artist who makes you call random men at the other end of the 900 number.

Last edited by Dwedit (2005-03-30 9:45:36 pm)

#18 2005-03-31 6:21:22 am

leofox

misteroo wrote:

He should be banned from using flash simply based on the fact he decided to let it continue for like 5 minutes. Filling that gap with the same goddamn trash shown a minute ago didn't help.

so subtle...

I have to disagree with you here Indogutsu, he did NOT say it best. at first, he didn't use any arguments AT ALL in his post. The only thing remotely close to one is 'that the song isn't funny'. Of course, he didn't say WHY it wasn't funny..

And second: it's not a bad animutation. Sure, it's not much of a movie. Sure, the program it's made in isn't made for movies at all, but for RPG's (and the rpg's made in it aren't that good anyway, but that aside). But the stuff Neil made wasn't good as a movie too. Just look at the 'prototype' for animutations, hyakugojyuuichi. You can't say Cicireiga showed any animation talent in there. What it DID have was random appereances of pop-culture things, photoshopped images, and fake lyrics. that's why it was cool. And that's why foo-la-la is cool too.

Third, the song isn't that bad. I actually have it as a ringtone right now, but that's because it was the only decent .wav file sitting on my comp.

Conclusion: Foo-la-la isn't the best animutation ever made, but i enjoyed it. 7 out of 10.

#19 2005-03-31 11:25:14 am

Indogutsu
SUCK UGLY COCKI
Website

Dwedit wrote:

I think DQ4 Rennisance would be much better if Nara wasn't fucking Miss Cleo!  That alone almost made me close the game in disgust.  Sure, she's a useless character, but you don't have to transform her into some scam artist who makes you call random men at the other end of the 900 number.

That must be the single worst reason to hate something, ever, in the history of man. You haven't even played the game for five minutes, and yet you still managed to form an opinion about it. Never mind how it's the result of over a year's worth of planning, programming, and debugging (and it's still not even 1/6th finished), has several custom non-standard gameplay add-ons, and features lots of original music and character designs. No, you just decided it sucked because of an insignificant little joke in the prologue. It would be like saying Final Fantasy 7 is not worth your time because while escaping Reactor No. 1, Jessie's leg gets stuck on something and you have to free her, which you think is Square's way of saying women are more or less useless and always get in the way of important operations. Judging a book by its first chapter is every bit as shallow as judging it by its cover.

I apologize if I'm coming off as a little too angry, but I take insults to DW4:R much more seriously than insults to Foo-La-La. Foo-La-La took days to complete. DW4:R was started in October 2003 and is still nowhere near finished. I can see when my welcome is worn out. But this kind of shit just rolls off my back by now, because I must have been banned or forced off of dozens of message boards in the past.

Last edited by Indogutsu (2005-03-31 11:45:00 am)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer