Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2007-04-16 9:07:23 pm

mudi
Website

Fanimutation Wiki extensions

Any chance these extensions could be installed?

CheckUser - allows checking of IP addresses used by a certain user by admins

Interwiki Table Editor

The first because there's a certain user who is making stupid edits with an anonymous user supporting them, I'd like to see if the two are the same... and the table editor because it's easier than editing the database.

It looks like the checkuser might not work with 1.9 (even though 1.10 is still in alpha release... bleh) but there is a 'predecessor' version also on that page.

Last edited by mudi (2007-04-16 9:09:25 pm)

#2 2007-04-17 1:59:24 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: Fanimutation Wiki extensions

I added them in...
Unfortunately CheckUser killed the Special:Userrights page.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2007-04-17 3:02:55 pm

mudi
Website

Thanks, suspicions confirmed... it looks like Checkuser doesn't much like being installed on 1.9, meh.

EDIT: looks like Checkuser has broken more than that... edits are showing up in recent changes, but I can't see diffs of them and the changes don't appear to be taking on the actual pages... looks like it isn't playing nice at all... sorry for the trouble, it looks like it had better be removed again :P

Last edited by mudi (2007-04-17 3:56:26 pm)

#4 2007-04-25 6:26:13 pm

Quietust

ParserFunctions is neat - it lets you make templates with conditional stuff in them. One example would be an Animutation Summary table template that only displays the rows you want it to fill in, automatically hiding everything else.

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

#5 2007-04-25 8:49:41 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Added in ParserFunctions.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#6 2007-04-26 7:35:46 pm

Quietust

Cool.
Check this out - with a bit more tweaking, we could use this to clean up most of the animutation pages, not to mention automatically categorize animutations which are in need of certain values (i.e. ones missing screenshots, release dates, or the newly added Wartysian Factor).

I can think of a bunch of other useful functionality that could be added, such as templates for character/prop appearances with automatic inline filmography links (and optional links to create the categories if they don't already exist). Templates are a lot more versatile than you may think, and with the addition of ParserFunctions they become even more flexible.

#7 2007-04-26 10:09:44 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Is it possible to have tail-recursive templates, or ones used to define N elements?

#8 2007-04-27 7:13:50 am

Quietust

Unfortunately, templates cannot include themselves (I've tried - it's done in one pass, so you can't do it), and in order to support N elements, you have to define them all.
You can, however, specify default values for parameters by doing {{{paramname|defaultvalue}}}, and you can use {{#if:foo}} to detect undefined parameters and omit any structure around them.

For stuff like animutations with multiple songs (where the infobox would need to be extended arbitrarily), this could also be accomplished by using a secondary template an arbitrary number of times.

#9 2007-04-27 10:08:09 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Now we just need some template magic to add categories like "Flash from 2003", so people can browse by year.

#10 2007-04-28 12:09:37 pm

Quietust

That's easy - one of the ParserFunctions is {{#date:format|time}}, which can be used to extract the year from the release date and drop it into a category.

[edit] And now it does, for the few animutations that now use the template (currently just the Must-See ones).

Are you okay with the name of this template, or would you prefer something less generic than 'Infobox' (like 'Animutation Infobox' or perhaps just 'Animutation')? If it's going to get renamed, sooner is better (since it'll minimize the amount of cleanup that'll have to be done to every page that uses it).

Last edited by Quietust (2007-04-29 8:26:36 pm)

#11 2007-05-02 9:26:42 am

mudi
Website

I would say 'Animutation Infobox' would be better than just 'Infobox', but then what do I know...

#12 2007-05-04 6:07:07 pm

Quietust

mudi wrote:

I would say 'Animutation Infobox' would be better than just 'Infobox', but then what do I know...

It is done. Now I suppose an effort can begin to convert all of the hundreds of other Animutation pages to use this template instead of their inline tables.
I'd write a bot, but it'd be just a little bit too complicated for something like this.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer