Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2007-11-05 10:25:07 am

Quietust

Please Save the Wiki

The wiki is in a state of disarray, littered with continual junk edits (which look like they are coming from very poorly configured spambots) and no administrators to maintain order in this environment of near utter chaos. Either the admins need to come back, or they need to appoint people to continue in their stead.

Also, it'd be really nice if the wiki could be configured to disallow edits from anonymous users - the wiki is obscure enough that we wouldn't lose much by requiring people to sign up before editing (and requiring people to put their name on their edits makes them slightly less likely to be an asshat - see here for more info), and even if it doesn't outright stop the spammers, it will at least slow them down.

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

#2 2007-11-05 3:07:56 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: Please Save the Wiki

I just made the fatal mistake of upgrading to MediaWiki 1.10, now it's ass slow.

Edit: Now I'm not entirely sure if that is the case or not, suddenly my connection to the dreamhost hosted sites sped up.  Oh well...

Last edited by Dwedit (2007-11-05 3:15:13 pm)

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2007-11-05 3:55:07 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I replaced the useless Math captcha (Why the hell was I using that!) with Recaptcha.  All guest edits must go through it, and all user registrations must go through it.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#4 2007-11-05 7:30:22 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I see lots of pages vandalized with crap, it's pretty obvious that I need to get a list of all pages which were last edited by an IP address within a certain date range, then do a rollback operation on that.  And I lack the SQL-fu to do such.

#5 2007-11-06 2:08:06 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I have just laid the smackdown on 9 spam pages.  Let me know if you find any more.

#6 2007-11-06 3:10:52 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

HA! HA!  I'm now using BOTS to mass delete unused filmography categories.

#7 2007-11-06 1:30:18 pm

Quietust

The rest of those "Filmography" categories should be emptying themselves out in the semi-near future - well, depending on how long it takes me to update the remaining 264 animutation pages to use {{character}} in the Cast section; if anyone wants to help out, I'd really appreciate it since this isn't something that can easily be automated (well, it probably can, but I can't be bothered to write the code to do it).

Last edited by Quietust (2007-11-06 2:14:35 pm)

#8 2007-11-06 2:19:57 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Is it anything more than a few regular expressions?

#9 2007-11-06 2:36:45 pm

Quietust

It basically involves looking for a link and also locating a matching category link on the same line. The trouble is when people do stuff like "[[Character]] doing something [[Category:Character Filmography]]" or "[[Character 1]] and [[Character 2]] [[Category:Character 1 Filmography]][[Category:Character 2 Filmography]]" - if you can figure out how to handle cases like that, be my guest.

[edit]
Looks like it wasn't so hard to do after all - managed to throw together a script which seems to work properly, though it currently requires multiple passes for the latter case mentioned above (if it's done as "[[Character 1]][[Category:Character 1 Filmography]] and [[Character 2]][[Category:Character 2 Filmography]]", it catches both in a single pass). This just made my job a whole lot easier.

Last edited by Quietust (2007-11-07 7:56:18 am)

#10 2007-11-07 10:37:44 am

Quietust

Dwedit wrote:

HA! HA!  I'm now using BOTS to mass delete unused filmography categories.

A good thing, too - now that the conversion is complete, I've got a whopping 659 empty categories for you to delete.

The next thing that comes to mind is something to display a warning if someone tries to insert a Prop as a Character (or vice-versa) on an Animutation page, as well as have characters/props put themselves into a warning category in the event that someone creates the wrong type of category for one (e.g. creating "Animutations featuring Character" or "Animutations starring Prop" categories).

Another thing that comes to mind would be inline "filmography" (going by the old terminology - they'd link to the "Animutations starring/featuring Character/Prop" categories) links after each character/prop name (perhaps as a * or other superscript-type character) for quicker navigation, or perhaps linking into "What Links Here" to see if it's worth creating a page and category for the character (since it isn't really worth it if they only appear in one animutation).

#11 2007-11-07 2:27:11 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Only problem is that the bots get killed during heavy traffic.

#12 2007-11-07 3:20:40 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Any ideas for what to do about the main page?

#13 2007-11-13 8:27:56 pm

Quietust

The wiki seems to be doing a lot better now, but we've still got a few lingering problems: abusive editors such as "Patrick" who continue to deface pages (seemingly trying to replace every reference to Misteroo with "Tommy Wimmer" and vice-versa). Without an admin wielding a ban-hammer, asshats will continue to be asshats.

#14 2007-11-14 2:40:55 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

So yeah, I've just gone completely nuts with the wiki, editing pages for the last 7 hours.
It looks like 99% of Lord Zeebmork's animutations need to be deleted.

This page should say it all: http://wiki.animutationportal.com/Category:Inaccessible

#15 2007-11-14 3:20:42 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

#16 2007-12-11 1:49:19 pm

Quietust

Need to bring this up again - we need an active Admin on the wiki to ban abusive users.
For example, "Soldierside" seems to have a severe attitude problem (responds to all warnings on his talk page by screaming "I DON'T CARE") and believes he doesn't need to respect authority presumably because he's received nothing but empty threats of punishment.
There's also the issue of "Tommy Wimmer" and his "Misteroo" account, repeatedly vandalizing pages and trying to swap the two names everywhere they appear.

If you don't have the time to monitor the wiki and take care of such issues, then please choose someone else to do it.

#17 2007-12-11 2:27:47 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

If I actually started administrating the wiki, 9/10 of all animutations there would be swiftly deleted.

#18 2007-12-18 2:31:37 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

So why hasn't Soldierside been permabanned yet?

#19 2007-12-18 4:42:25 pm

Quietust

I tend to see a temporary ban as a wake-up call, a warning to allow people to start making meaningful contributions. He's been given a proper warning (and shown that it isn't an empty threat) - if he comes back and starts being an ass again, then he gets permbanned.

On other sites, I generally only resort to immediate permbans if they're obviously a spambot (or behaving extremely badly).

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer