Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

User passwords may have been corrupted, if you can't log in, use the "Forgot Password" feature. If you still can't log in, contact me and I can try to manually reset your password.

#1 2008-02-28 1:42:38 pm

cualquiercosa

goomba color

Hello,i am new on forum.
I would like make a suggestion for the new version of goomba.
it is  supports the colorization features of MasterBoy.I think  it was a great idea,and implement in more emulators would it more accesible,and more games will be "colorized" for users.

The source is free,and also his vba version with that feature.
http://brunni.dev-fr.org/index.php?page … _masterboy

#2 2008-02-28 1:57:56 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: goomba color

I took a look at it.  It looks pretty interesting, but it also looks like that kind of colorization feature would only work on a bitmapped display.  With the way I'm allocating palettes right now, Goomba Color only supports 8 different palettes for each background tile, and 16 different palettes for sprites, but the number of colors per tile could be extended to 16 colors.

There's also only 4 games that have been recolorized, so that's too much work for minimal benefit.

I figure if you're going to enhance the game exclusively for emulators, you might as well go all out, and make special Graphics Packs which use newly drawn 4-bit SNES style graphics for everything.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2008-02-29 5:48:09 am

cualquiercosa

Hi.The idea would be using same file with color definitions on all emulator (maybe a color bits conversion.or something similar,to adapt to any platafor),but when a game is coloured ,no need to do the same for all emulators.

Now,only 4 games are colourized,but i think if it was expanded,more and more games will be colourized.

The last part of your post i dont understand,sorry.You said i use the sprites and tiles of the same game of snes version,no??

For example use the files of snes donkey kong country and add to gb donkey kong land???
That would be other option,but i think it is more difficult and more time used.

I would like you read it,
http://gameboygenius.8bitcollective.com … pid=44#p44

it is the idea  i posted in a new forum it was created recently for learn and using the gameboy and gb color (after gba and other) for creating games easily using demos and
code of demos and proyect to create games,a "proyect":
http://gameboygenius.8bitcollective.com … c.php?id=5

#4 2008-03-18 9:03:01 am

Aroenai

I don't think they even supply the ini files for the 4 games they did color, but they have a readme for making doing your own. Masterboy and VBA CE can redraw sprites but it can still only use/apply colors to the 4 levels of gray in the tile. The mario screenshot they show is a little deceptive, there are at least 3 different pallets in use on mario alone because he's not one tile. Nothing is 16 colors on one tile.

Last edited by Aroenai (2008-03-18 9:04:45 am)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer