Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2016-08-31 8:07:10 am

morbid27

TODO list for hardcore GBA fans

Just got back into GBA emulation again as I saw that EZ IV was still being maintained and updated for SDHC micro sd support. I used your newest PocketNES version man it the emulation is good for a low powered system like the GBA (even accuratly slows down in parts of games like MegaMan where the real Nintendo does I think)

I'm liking it

anyways TODO list for hardcore GBA fans

Get a Gamecube
Get a GameBoy Player
Get an EZ Flash IV Full Sized Gba Flash card (best gameboy adv. flash card)

Use one of the updated exploits to boot into (boot.dol) homebrew off the memory card (installed on the Wii)
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph … g_Homebrew

Boot GameBoy Interface (Looks like it provides pretty faithful gameboy advance emulation)
Gameboy Interface

Enjoy GBA emulators on GBA and GBA on TV with accurate hardware

Last edited by morbid27 (2016-08-31 9:10:06 pm)

#2 2016-08-31 9:24:30 pm

Shugo

Re: TODO list for hardcore GBA fans

Actually, there's a new GBA flashcart on the block that blows EZ Flash out of the water: EverDrive-GBA. It's twice as expensive, but ten times better. Supports huge microSD sizes and it's completely plug-n-play. No patches, no cumbersome OS, no huge load times, no save file shenanigans. It just works.

I'm not even shilling, I just love this thing so much after suffering for years with EZ-Flash. I still have an EZ-Flash IV and I absolutely hate it. It's such a poorly designed flashcart with so many limitations. Not to mention the cheap shit save battery that's been dead for ages since I can't solder. I kind of just resorted to collecting real GBA carts for a while, which works out in the end because now I have a huge library that I can legally back up to the EDGBA. :P

#3 2016-09-01 6:13:23 am

morbid27

I found once you have EZ-Flash IV set up properly (one time send your games through EZ Client and it then copies the save) and you can even skin it the way you want and once you update the firmware once you are set. With a fast micro SDHC the compatability is great and if you are patient enough load time is only 2 - 3 times more that that Everdrive (6-8 seconds). Now Supports up to 32gb micro SDHC and has great ability to exit patch games and emu's to return to the menu without reboot. I guess though the one thing that is lacking is the real time clock so if you were wanting to play the few games, mostly the pokemon games, wiht the clock then Everdrive wins.

I find it is still a great card compared to the old day's where you had to flash a large amount of nor memory taking 10 minutes and would only fit about 5 games, before you had to reflash it.

Last edited by morbid27 (2016-09-01 7:32:31 am)

#4 2016-09-01 10:37:36 am

Shugo

Oh yeah, EZ Flash is definitely better than what we once had to deal with. I think I still have an M3 Lite and its flasher sitting around somewhere. Those were dark days, lol.

#5 2016-09-10 9:43:46 am

hking0036

morbid27 wrote:

Boot GameBoy Interface (Looks like it provides pretty faithful gameboy advance emulation)
Gameboy Interface

Enjoy GBA emulators on GBA and GBA on TV with accurate hardware

GBI isn't emulation, the Game Boy Player is basically a consolized GBA much like the super game boy, the GBI is just an alternative to the boot-up disc that's used otherwise. It's functionally the same as playing on a real GBA, 100% native.

Last edited by hking0036 (2016-09-10 9:47:24 am)

#6 2016-09-20 7:08:11 am

morbid27

Sorry I meant that.
Accurate GBA Hardware
Emulators like PocketNES ect. on GBA

#7 2018-01-23 8:17:03 am

carlsmith

# UPDATE - EARLY 2018

An EZFlash IV (or EZFlash Reform) cart with the latest firmware works much better than back in the day.

The client software that was once used to patch the games is obsolete. They are now automatically patched when you first run them.

You still need to patch 8bit games from other systems to convert them to GBA ROMs (but it is easily done on any operating system). It lets you play most Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES and Master System games (I think the Sega Game Gear and an old Coleco system are also supported).

The EZFlash Reform has an easily replaceable battery and fits inside the GBA slot on a DS or DS Lite properly. It can also be used in a GBA console, but can get stuck inside them. The build quality of the Reform cart is very poor (while the PCB is very good). The EZFlash IV is the previous version (with a battery that can only be changed with a soldering iron). It has similar spec to the Reform, and much better build quality, but sticks out of a DS console.

#8 2018-01-23 8:46:27 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

There's that "convert" word again... There never has been "conversion" from other systems to GBA, just combining files together.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#9 2018-01-23 2:24:19 pm

carlsmith

Sorry, Dwedit; you're right. I should have said that the appropriate files are concatenated to create a GBA ROM that includes one or more games for a supported system and the software to make everything run on a Game Boy Advance.

Thanks for all your hard work by the way. It's appreciated.

I really wanted to ask you about something, if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction please: I wanted to modify Goomba so I could take a single Game Boy ROM, one border and one palette, and create a GBA ROM that always uses the border and palette and does not have any runtime emulator options (the L and R buttons wouldn't do anything).

Being able to also do the same thing with Goomba Color (without palettes) would be ideal. Did Goomba Color ever support borders?

I'm building a collection of games for my EZFlash cart and have enough space on the SD card to make each Game Boy and Game Boy Color game its own standalone GBA ROM, with its own border and palette, and think that would be really nice.

It may even be possible to create a screenshot with an emulator and share the files online. A simple webapp could allow users to upload a Game Boy or Game Boy Color ROM and download the GBA ROM. The webapp wouldn't need to host the ROM itself.

#10 2018-01-23 5:49:38 pm

carlsmith

With the EZFlash Reform, they should just keep the PCB they have (that'll fit inside a GBA or DS) and make GBA and DS versions of the cart separately, so the GBA one would look just like the EZFlash IV.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer