Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2006-03-01 11:52:44 am

Indogutsu
SUCK UGLY COCKI
Website

Whatever happened to the Fanimutation Wiki?

Is this the right place to ask? Will it ever come back, and if so, how much of the data will have been lost?

"I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics lately, trying to master all the jobs for my human characters, and it's even been showing up in my dreams. Last night I had a dream I was watching one of those stand-up shows on TV, and a comedian was doing a bit about, you guessed it, the battle on the roof of Riovanes Castle..." -Indo Tenbuki

"A pizza is worth a thousand words!" -Some penguin

#2 2006-03-01 12:12:29 pm

sarvana

Re: Whatever happened to the Fanimutation Wiki?

From what I understand somebody hacked into the server, so Mudi and some other people are working to restore it. As to how much data will be retained we can only guess, but I know some of the pages are in google's cache.

#3 2006-03-01 1:16:27 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Some table files got deleted, possibly by a hacker.  The pages table, user groups table, and other stuff is dead.  The "cur" table is still there, but it's only used by old versions of mediawiki, like before I added that leftbar.  This web host sucks anyway, it's like the wheels on the bus... It goes up and down.

The text table, which contains each edit, is intact, but it doesn't contain any information about what page each text is associated with.

It might be possible to get it back to the point right before the upgrade.  Of course several months of edits will be lost..

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#4 2006-03-01 1:47:47 pm

Indogutsu
SUCK UGLY COCKI
Website

What I'D like to know is, what kind of a (^$&$^*( would hack into the Fanimutation Wiki.

Somebody who hates fanimutations, perhaps?

*whistles the melody of "Motsaenggin"*

"I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics lately, trying to master all the jobs for my human characters, and it's even been showing up in my dreams. Last night I had a dream I was watching one of those stand-up shows on TV, and a comedian was doing a bit about, you guessed it, the battle on the roof of Riovanes Castle..." -Indo Tenbuki

"A pizza is worth a thousand words!" -Some penguin

#5 2006-03-01 2:08:55 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Perhaps the WHACKERZ?

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#6 2006-03-01 2:13:30 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

The last complete version of the wiki dates back to October 9, 2005.  That will be restored once mudi sends it to the DB.

Last edited by Dwedit (2006-03-01 3:47:26 pm)

#7 2006-03-01 3:43:13 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Looks like mudi got the ancient wiki back up now...

#8 2006-03-01 4:10:20 pm

mudi
Website

OK, the wiki is back to there.  We're switching hosts very soon, we're signed up on a trial with Dreamhost to check out how they are... my only concern with them so far is the possibility that they are overselling (as Dwedit has mentioned.)

I have a copy of all the text of the articles before the hack, I will try and insert some of the major articles back in to the real DB.  Oh, and I now have a cron job scheduled to auto-backup the wiki and portal databases nightly, so we shouldn't have to go back several months if/when this happens next.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer