Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2020-01-07 4:13:50 pm

DeadSkullzJr

[Goomba Color] Pokemon Gold/Silver Spaceworld Using Wrong SGB Frames

Hello, something caught my attention a while ago related to this emulator. Whenever I load the Spaceworld demos, it loads up the default Pokemon Gold/Silver SGB frames rather than the ones that the Spaceworld demos have. I suspect Goomba Color doing this because by default on a real Super Game Boy or even an emulator, it automatically loads the SGB frames that these demos have, not the default retail SGB frames that the retail releases use. Here is a few images to show what I mean. Thanks in advance for taking a look at the issue!

What Goomba Color shows:

Pokemon Gold:
Pokemon-Gold-Proto-Original.png

Pokemon Silver:
Pokemon-Silver-Proto-Original.png

What Goomba Color is supposed to show:

Pokemon Gold: (Concept with original frame)
Pokemon-Gold-Proto-New.png

Pokemon Silver: (Concept with original frame)
Pokemon-Silver-Proto-New.png

If you wish to see the original SGB frames, here you go:

Pokemon Gold:
Gold-Frame.png

Pokemon Silver:
Silver-Frame.png

#2 2020-01-07 7:15:23 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: [Goomba Color] Pokemon Gold/Silver Spaceworld Using Wrong SGB Frames

When you run a GBC game with SGB features, it will do "Initial" SGB border mode by default.  This means that it boots the game in SGB mode, waits for it to upload its border, then reboots into GBC mode.

If you want it to load additional borders, you'd need to run it in SGB Only mode.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2020-01-08 12:12:56 am

DeadSkullzJr

Dwedit wrote:

When you run a GBC game with SGB features, it will do "Initial" SGB border mode by default.  This means that it boots the game in SGB mode, waits for it to upload its border, then reboots into GBC mode.

If you want it to load additional borders, you'd need to run it in SGB Only mode.

I took a look at the modes, SGB Mode isn't an option, the options I see:
- GB (only)
- GBC+SGB (unsure what this does, doesn't appear to be different from "Prefer SGB over GBC")
- Prefer SGB over GBC
- Prefer GBC over SGB

Options not available:
- GBC (only)
- SGB (only)

Running the latest 2019 build as well so, maybe I have my understanding with the options wrong.

#4 2020-01-08 12:53:51 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

"Prefer SGB over GBC" would mean that it runs it in exclusively SGB mode for games which support both.

GBC+SGB is a weird hybrid mode that represents hardware that doesn't actually exist.  It's a GBC that also responds to SGB commands.  Some games (such as Dragon Warrior Monsters) will use far less colorization when they see that mode, while apparently a few games can use that mode flawlessly.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#5 2020-01-08 2:09:57 pm

DeadSkullzJr

Dwedit wrote:

"Prefer SGB over GBC" would mean that it runs it in exclusively SGB mode for games which support both.

GBC+SGB is a weird hybrid mode that represents hardware that doesn't actually exist.  It's a GBC that also responds to SGB commands.  Some games (such as Dragon Warrior Monsters) will use far less colorization when they see that mode, while apparently a few games can use that mode flawlessly.

Tried the mode, it didn't make a difference, it still loaded the Pokémon Gold and Silver retail SGB frames, it doesn't make sense how that even happens knowing that the demos were displayed in 1997, long before the new SGB frames were even put into place. I'm wondering if the frames are loading in that way because Goomba Color is calling for the retail frames from the retail Gold and Silver titles, both have the same header names after all. If Goomba is loading it based on header information, then maybe you can figure out a way to load the SGB frames different for the two sets of titles so the right ones load up.

I haven't trimmed the games yet though, I believe that cuts the header out, if so, then maybe it would work then. I'll try that first and come back with results.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer