Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2005-09-01 12:56:50 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Obscure

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#2 2005-09-01 1:47:23 pm

Vash The Stampede
Website

Re: Obscure

haha, i wasn't quite expecting darkwing to come out from there.

http://forums.reg-exp.org

It's a small, fun forum.  If you'd like an invite, e-mail me.

#3 2005-09-01 5:54:31 pm

RandomFerret
Website

I feel like a bigger nerd than before for getting that reference.

You know, that was the first NES rom I ever played on the GBA. Back when the emulator first came out.

#4 2005-09-03 11:09:27 pm

Rhete

*confused*  I dont get it, care to explain the reference?

That aside, very good for a sprite movie.  It actually looked identical to an NES game, instead of relying on Flashes special effects for things, like how you did the fade to black

#5 2005-09-04 9:19:54 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

The reference:

krion1df.png krionconquest2005090411413155d.png

There was this game called "The Krion Conquest", made by Vic Tokai in 1990.  One need not play it for more than 30 seconds to notice that it is a blatant Megaman clone, in graphic style, controls, animation, and to a certain extent, plot.  Instead of controlling the blue bomber, you control a witch by the name of Francesca.  Never mind that her face looks exactly like Megaman's.  The only difference is that Krion Conquest is much much harder, and all the levels are played in sequence.  You start out with all the weapons, and you can duck.

The game itself was also a heavily butchered localization of the Japanese version, Magical Doropie.  There were cutscenes in the original game between each level, and all those got cut from the US release!  Only the intro managed to survive, and with a slightly different character design at the end.

Okay now what the hell is Darkwing Duck doing here?
In hong kong/china/some asian countries, NES game piracy is highly rampant.  People keep re-releasing random games with a different number at the end, or hack characters into other games.  For example, "Super Mario 10" is a hack of Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu with Mario hacked in, "Miss Peach World" is a hack of Menace Beach, and often the box art for some games is hillarious.  So some company decided to release a game called "Rockman 5".  This turned out to be a graphical hack of Darkwing Duck, which replaces Darkwing Duck with Megaman.  It leaves about half of Darkwing Duck's original sprites unchanged, and keeps all textual references referring to Darkwing Duck.  So Megaman shouts out "Let's Get Dangerous!".

I somehow decided to make my own ripoff of two ripoff games.  I made a flash movie.  It took 5 hours.  Every screen blank and fade is accurately represented.  I took an AVI recording of the intro, then captured each sprite element, and placed it in its proper place right over the video.  Used motion tweens and stuff, and it matched the original's positions exactly.  For some parts, I used VirtuaNES's name table viewer to capture backgrounds.  Ripping sprites is tedious.  I have a lot more respect for people with the patience to make a good sprite movie.
If you play the original game's intro simultaneously as the flash, it will line up perfectly.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#6 2005-09-04 4:56:48 pm

RandomFerret
Website

Don't forget that The Krion Conquest used a hacked Megaman engine. It's sort of a grey area, as far as piracy goes. Less than a bootleg, but much more than a simple graphical rip-off.

#7 2005-09-04 6:57:43 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I call bullshit.  The Krion Conquest is clearly using a different game engine than Megaman.  Right off the bat I can see that Krion Conquest uses BEQ -5 for its idle loop, while Megaman 1, 2, and 6 use BEQ -4.  Megaman 3, 4, and 5 use an idle loop that also counts scanlines.

Last edited by Dwedit (2005-09-04 7:00:09 pm)

#8 2005-09-05 8:11:39 am

RandomFerret
Website

Oh. Well, alright then.

...What? It was bullshit, and he called it!

#9 2005-12-27 9:08:01 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Small update...
I'll also go post it on newgrounds.  I'm eagerly awaiting the blam, and I'll time how long it takes.

Edit: It has survived Newgrounds judgement!  I have lost faith in the intelligence of the masses at noobgrounds.  I bet if it had hentai in it, it would have been daily feature.

#10 2005-12-29 2:43:54 am

Rhete

Link for those who dont wanna search - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/286268

Newgrounds loves sprite movies :(

"you should try turning up ur frame rate so the animations are smoother"

That review cracked me up.

I like the song at the end and the witch girl *votes 5*

#11 2006-01-07 1:25:03 am

mudi
Website

Hehe... I like the new end screen you made... 1200 in 1.

Odd, your Flash passes, but gets bad to moderate reviews.  I've always gotten primarily "meh, ok" to good reviews but get blammed quickly.  And I made a couple sprite movies early on with jokes a lot less obscure than this.  Oh well.

#12 2006-01-07 1:33:09 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I'll give you bonus points if you can identify where the "Super" in that screen comes from.

#13 2006-01-07 3:20:47 pm

Quietust

Dwedit wrote:

I'll give you bonus points if you can identify where the "Super" in that screen comes from.

The moment I saw it, I knew it had to be from this game.

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer