Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2010-01-25 2:16:24 am

NESJohnny

GBA Movie Player - how to update?

Hey Dwedit (and friends!), nice site here.  I came looking to get some NES emulation running on my GBA Movie Player (v.2/compact flash).  I'm running into some roadblocks and hope you can help.

Anyway, my old GBAMP isn't working so great anymore. I think I need to format it, put the firmware on it and get it going again. I've promised to sell it to a friend so I'm trying to make it work ASAP.

The problem I'm running into is I can't find any firmware for it that's programmed for the GBA. Everything available is built to make it work to boot DS homebrew. I want to run this on a GBA, not a DS. I have the firmware that came with it, but that is very, very dated.  It's e13 (I believe) and seems too primitive to run the PocketNES version I found in this thread: http://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=354

If you can help me get this going I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

You can find me on:
NintendoAge
PlayTheNES
GameTZ.com

#2 2010-01-25 9:45:22 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: GBA Movie Player - how to update?

First update to E19.

There are three different versions of PocketNES I made for the GBAMP:
* Pocketnes Compy, a multiboot-mode only version that never accesses the CF slot, and runs compressed games up to 256k in size (before compression)
* Pocketnes For GBAMP, a version that accesses the CF card to read and write cache pages, so it can run big games as well as save games
* Pocketnes for GBAMP as a firmware replacement.  Lately, I've been having some problems with that program, I see that the disk access code is messed up a bit and I'll have to fix it.
Thankfully, you can use all 3 at the same time.

Pocketheaven.com went down for some reason, so it will take me a little time to find where I saved all my files.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon update.e19, Size: 428,544 bytes, Downloads: 507

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2010-01-25 2:29:05 pm

NESJohnny

Stan, thank you so much!!  I was searching for hours and couldn't even find an update download.  Your Pocketnes programs sound fantastic, I greatly look forward to checking them out.  (I noticed the same thing with pocketheaven.com; nearly all of the relevant-looking search results were from that site and I couldn't even pull up a decent cache)

duJUu.jpg

You can find me on:
NintendoAge
PlayTheNES
GameTZ.com

#4 2010-01-29 3:13:34 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Just so you know, I'm working on fixing the weird glitches and crashes on the GBAMP.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#5 2010-01-29 2:25:10 pm

NESJohnny

Thanks again for helping me out.  Wish I could be helpful in some capacity!

You can find me on:
NintendoAge
PlayTheNES
GameTZ.com

#6 2010-01-29 2:50:23 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Then you can test out this thing and see if anything else crashes and burns besides Battletoads.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon flash_pocketnes_test.gba, Size: 141,088 bytes, Downloads: 152
Attachment Icon run_pocketnes.gba, Size: 8 bytes, Downloads: 142

#7 2010-06-27 3:55:44 pm

bbking67

is this version newer/better than beta 2?

/bbking67

#8 2010-06-28 4:24:35 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I was kinda stuck on the GBAMP Firmware version, because I was seeing all sorts of crashes and other glitches that never happened during testing.
But then I realized that there were issues on the GBAMP, the ROM doesn't always act like you think it would.
Whenever you try to read off the card, then your code gets interrupted (by Vblank or something), and then you jump to code in ROM, your read in progress gets corrupted.  So I was getting all kinds of strange data corruption that I had no clue where it came from.

#9 2019-01-26 1:35:05 am

Keristero

Hi Dwedit, This update.e19 is the only firmware I can find that works on my GBA Movie Player CF version - where did you get this? Do you have more recent versions?

#10 2019-01-26 9:25:38 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I had created my own firmware update for the GBAMP, but I think my code was randomly triggering the device to lock itself, so it was crashing a lot, so I stopped working on it.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any other official firmware updates for the GBAMP.

#11 2019-03-27 9:30:49 am

waxdoctor

what is the key combo on start to load this gba e.19 firmware?

#12 2019-03-27 9:34:22 am

waxdoctor

waxdoctor wrote:

what is the key combo on start to load this gba e.19 firmware?

forget to say/write hello! sorry!

HELLO

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer