Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2019-04-20 10:34:14 am

dylanmech100

PocketNES cheat finder , and "sprite follow by" help

So i own a 150 in 1 cart for the gameboy advance and i was wondering if anyone knew how to find any cheats using the cheat finder because im having alot of trouble finding any because there are like 10,000 different results , also im wondering if anyone knows what "Sprite follow by" means and if theres a list of codes for that. Thanks!

#2 2019-04-20 1:17:38 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: PocketNES cheat finder , and "sprite follow by" help

I'd suggest looking up a video on youtube about using a "Cheat Search" feature, most of them work the same way.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2019-04-20 4:07:00 pm

dylanmech100

Yeah ive watched a ton of videos but its still pretty confusing because i dont know what alot of the stuff means like what is "New!=Old" or "New==Old" and also number comparing, and alot of those people on youtube use cheat engine to find there codes not sure if thats similar to this or not

#4 2019-04-20 4:42:23 pm

dylanmech100

also i have a question that isnt about cheat finder, on the 150 in 1 cart there is 1 game i cant get to work because it says i need to shoot my zapper the game is called "to the earth" i was wondering if u knew how to get the game to work

#5 2019-04-20 6:18:38 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Cheat searching works by comparing an "old" value (what you last saw when you searched), against a "new" value (what's currently in memory).

Example:  Changing your lives

Start the search.
Die, now the "new" value is less than the "old" value.  New < Old.
Keep playing a while without dying, then say that New == Old because your lives count has not changed.
Die again, then say New < Old.
By then, it should have probably found your lives.

"==" is the "Is Equal To" operator.
"!=" is the "Not Equal To" operator.

PocketNES does not emulate the Zapper at all.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#6 2019-04-20 10:14:50 pm

dylanmech100

Wow thanks alot for explaining that ive been wondering for a long time how the cheats worked but now i think ive got it fiqured out exept for one final thing, whenever u go to the cheat finder and click add cheat,  and just press "R" 2 times it will take u to some weird thing where u can put symbols numbers and letters can u tell me what u use that for, sorry if that makes no sense lol

Last edited by dylanmech100 (2019-04-20 10:37:31 pm)

#7 2021-10-27 12:00:17 pm

Opts

I've managed to get the Sprite Follow to work.

Under Display-> Set the Display to Unscaled (Follow), and Sprite Follow by: RAM, then you'll need to find the RAM location of your sprite (the character you're controlling usually) you should be able to find a RAM Map of the ROM online somewhere.

For example;

on Ninja Gaiden (NES) I found that RAM Location "$8A" is Ryu's vertical (Y) position on-screen.

So in PocketNES underneath "Sprite Follow by: RAM" I set the "Address" to 008A

Now PocketNES will (of course) follow Ryu's Vertical (Y) Position on the screen!

It works as it should, but get ready for some motion sickness, as the view is zoomed in on your Sprite, so moves up and down every time you jump. It's smooth, but is a bit much for me on Ninja Gaiden.

An alternative view on the same game is to set the RAM Address to 0086  ($0086) which is Ryu's Horizontal (X) position on-screen,
It's still zoomed in but doesn't follow his jump, so isn't as motion sickness inducing, but as it isn't following his Vertical (Y) Position (and it's zoomed in) you can get lost off the bottom of the screen

I believe this is because when RAM Following the Y-Axis Position, the game itself is already following the X-axis position for the scrolling of the stage.
So you have X and Y information being followed at the same time. (X by the game and Y by PocketNES) and follows smoothly.

Whereas when RAM Following the X-Axis Position with PocketNES you don't have any Y-Axis Position Data (the game itself isn't following this on most stages), so the zoomed in view doesn't track your sprite's Vertical Location on the screen. (X by the game and X by PocketNES)

You can also press the L or R buttons to scroll the zoomed area up and down respectively (holding R is fine during casual play) but I haven't yet figured out if there's a way to lock this view when using RAM Follow - seems like you have to just hold it.

I've just been playing around with Super Mario Bros. (NES) and the RAM follow works in the same way, having said that I found that if I use "Sprite Follow by: Sprite" and set the "Sprite Number" to 0008 the zoom follows Mario just fine.
(setting it to 000A allows the L or R triggers to move up/down the zoomed are and it locks this time, not ideal for playing but I found it interesting nonetheless)

I only figured all of this out today, and I'm far from an expert,  but thought I'd share it here as it didn't seem to be covered.

So essentially: Find a RAM Map online for the ROM you want to play, and search it (Ctrl+F) for keywords i.e.; X Position, Y Position, Player, Ryu, Mario, etc. and just play around until you find something that works for you!

It's quite fun really!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer