Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2020-03-30 7:24:55 pm

dw817

PocketNES

I seem to remember a version of PocketNES that had rewind ability for the Gameboy Advance, can you help me with this please, DWEdit ?

#2 2020-03-30 7:28:14 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: PocketNES

PocketNES never had rewind, but it does have savestates.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2020-03-30 8:24:41 pm

dw817

Thanks for the reply. And definitely THANKS for the emulators. I've got myself a RG350 and the Gameboy and Nintendo emulator are awful on it. I remembered years ago when I had Xtreme Game Card for my Gameboy Advance and ran NES and B&W/Color Gameboy back then on PogoSHELL.

Good times. Since the GBA emulator for the RG350 is excellent - I am falling back on these good tools to combine the best of both worlds. Glad you have them, many thanks !

#4 2020-03-30 8:26:05 pm

dw817

... ??? Wait, it wasn't PocketNES, it was JNES or NesterJ one of the two ! Can you check to see that for GBA and has rewind ability ?

#5 2020-03-30 8:40:29 pm

dw817

Logged in proper now, DWEdit. Sorry for the extra posts I would edit if I can but I don't see the option. Delete or merge if you like.

In any case, yes, this might be worth investigating. It was - some type of hybrid someone wrote back then. It wasn't the standard for the GBA/Nes emulator and I'm almost 100% certain it had rewind ability. I remember keying that for left trigger and I could backstep in a game on my handheld GBA.

Let me see what I can find here.

Always interested in emulators that run on on the GBA console.

#6 2020-03-30 9:31:11 pm

dw817

Wait. I think I found the problem, DWEdit. It was on my PSP that I had JNES and it did have rewind ability. OK ... It's hard to keep track of all those handheld consoles. Well I've still been busy collecting GBA tools in light of my latest console RG350.

Let me know if you need any tools for building, making, and editing GbA carts as I've collected quite a few since, two with your help of PocketNES and Goomba.

#7 2020-03-30 11:27:40 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I don't own an RG350, but I've been looking at these kind of handhelds for a little bit.

My understanding is that they use a MIPS processor, and run OpenDingux.  You are not stuck with their built-in set of software.  Any software compiled for Linux+SDL on MIPS should work, and lots of newer and better software is available compared to what initially ships on the devices.  You can also get third-party menus or launchers, and this is without even changing the Linux kernel itself.

MIPS processors are generally weaker than ARM processors for emulation, that is if you're writing everything in Assembly.  Well-optimized assembly code would probably run 1.5-3x faster on an ARM processor than a MIPS processor.  For C code, mileage may vary.
Then again PocketNES was made for the 16MHz GBA, and these things have 1000MHz processors, quite the difference.

The thing stopping me from trying out the RG350 is long shipping times from China, and that I'm unsure about the analog joystick on top of the D-Pad.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#8 2020-03-31 3:57:25 pm

dw817

350x350

It's a nasty thing to be sure, those 2 stupid little Joysticks, DWedit. I was worried enough to remove the screws from the back to get at the memory card so I could upgrade the OS on it. But didn't want to go any further than that.

And yes I have not found any carts PSX or otherwise for it that use those little rolling joysticks. None. Only on my PSP were they of any use and that's the PSP 1000, not this RG350 monster.

The main reason I got the RG350 was for two things. One a disppointment, the other a boon.

1. It's supposed to run SNES perfectly. I have a lot of love for SNES and unfortunately the emulator it comes with and ANOTHER SNES emulator it comes with, both have no auto-fire. One has turbo but not very good, all of course it has load/save state.

2. It does indeed have a very strong and hearty battery. 6 hours of intense use before needing to recharge. Many more hours for simple reading of text files or playing music. Can lie dormant for a week before the battery even shows a pip.

No I would only recommend an RG350 for those people out there who want:

(1) Accurate emulation. There are some portable consoles out there that run NES and especially SNES badly, too fast or jerky animation. The RG350 both in PocketNES (GBA) and their own NES and SNES emulators run very smoothly.

(2) You want arcade games like MAME. It does indeed run a great number of these as well including Black Tiger and Three Wonders.

(3) You want to run DOS games. It does indeed run DOSBOX and will be the focus of my programming for the future in it.

(4) You want to run videos right out of the box. Provided they are 320x240 or smaller, H264 and lower codecs will run just fine with no conversion. Remember the resolution REALLY is 320x240 so I recommend no more than 320k/sec for the video and no more than 96k/sec for the stereo audio.

What the RG350 does NOT come with and this is surprising is:

(1) Notepad. Not really. It comes with this garbage program but it could've been done a whole lot better. Terribly tedious badly written.

(2) Bookreader. It has one but once again it's really poorly designed and not worth your trouble at all.

(3) Calendar with appointment setter. Really the whole point of having a portable device is so you can have niceties like this. None.

(4) Calculator. Yep, completely absent nowhere in sight. Wow.

. . .

To transfer files to the RG350 you use FTP. I'm not kidding, it's a nasty thing. You open up Windows explorer, give it the URL address it has on the configuration of the device itself, then connect. I suspect they did this to protect their system files from being examined.

Indeed when I removed the chip from the back (the back being held by 4-screws) and examined the files on my PC the files on there were protected and encrypted. All of it. You couldn't even transfer ROMs to it as they were all bundled up the same strange way. You have to use FTP to access its "card" on your computer. And even then it's clear you're running some kind of kludge that is decompressing/compressing and decrypting/encrypting the files as they appear.

Now you CAN insert a new card (up to 32gb) below and that can indeed have true ROM files and OPK, the native EXE format for the device. It doesn't try to encrypt or compress that.

WMA music was tricky. It would not show it as a file type but when I manually renamed my extension of WMA to MP3 then they showed up and played just fine - despite the fact they were still WMA format. SMH.

What I may write over time (when I find time) is a decent book reader and a basic calculator. If I can can somehow read the real date and time I may make a little appointment setter additionally.

So what works well on the RG350 ? The Gameboy Advance emulator. It is very nicely done. No rewind but autofire, load/save state, good turbo and sharp graphics with lots of configuration options.

Buy the RG350 for its excellent GBA emulator, perfect PSX emulation, perfect NES emulation, perfect SNES emulation, DOSBOX, playing music/movies, and playing MAME games.

Let me know if you find ANYWHERE the rolling 2 joysticks are used independently of the regular arrow keys in any capacity.

... ???

Oh, and DWedit, I bought my RG350 from Wal-Mart so, yeah, no worries about China shipping and stuff. They apparently had it in stock as it took less than a week to get it to me after I ordered it Online.

Last edited by dw817 (2020-03-31 4:01:55 pm)

#9 2020-04-01 7:19:59 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Well if you REALLY need a calculator badly, you can try the TI83 emulator for GBA.

#10 2020-04-01 9:27:07 pm

dw817

I love calculators. I have one in the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, by the front door, the bedroom, and the video room (on the coffee table). All scientific - all ready to calculate whenever I get something in my head I want to see the sum for. So, yeah when I'm out and about while I have a little portable one I carry but nonetheless I'd like to see what RG350 is capable of with a scrolling display.

I've never used the TI-83. I thought that was the Texas Instruments computer that came out years ago, but no, that's the computer console TI-99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk9VYazSmyE

This is something else ...

Checking ... I'll get back to you. Thanks for the info !

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer