Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

User passwords may have been corrupted, if you can't log in, use the "Forgot Password" feature. If you still can't log in, contact me and I can try to manually reset your password.

#1 2021-09-03 11:31:30 am

James

How to compile Goomba Color rom

Hello,
I have made a few edits to the source code to see if I can get game boy (.gb) games to default to GB mode with the Pea Soup palette, but I don't know how to use the makefile to compile it. I am currently trying to do so in the devkitpro MSys2 and I can't seem to get it to work. If anyone could give me any advice or steps on how to simply compile the source code into a rom then I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I have also attached a photo of the output when I try to use the "make" command in MSys2 on just the untouched source code.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Untitled.png, Size: 70,955 bytes, Downloads: 41

#2 2021-09-03 12:07:57 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: How to compile Goomba Color rom

I've fixed the Makefile since the last release, find the newest code on Github: https://github.com/Dwedit/goombacolor

Makefile Only: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Dwedi … r/Makefile

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2021-09-03 12:18:10 pm

James

Thank you so much! It works :)

Could you also tell me where I would need to change the code for which mode it defaults to (like defaulting to GB mode instead of GBC or SGB)? I can't seem to find where that's at

#4 2021-09-03 1:21:38 pm

James

I've tried manually editing it in ui.c but that didn't work. I want to be able to load up pokemon red without it bringing up the palette or border. Normally I have to manually switch to GB mode and reset but I want it to boot up this way. I've fixed the palette issue for non-SGB gb games but could you help me figure out how to make GB mode the default on startup so I don't have to switch it every time?

#5 2021-09-03 4:21:06 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Code is in the function "GFX_reset" found in the file "lcd.s"

Look for the comment "@get GBC palette"
Comment out everything (using the '@' character) between that, and up until  "bl paletteinit"

That removes the code that makes it identify the game and pick a palette like a GBC would.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#6 2021-09-03 4:37:37 pm

James

Thank you! That worked for setting the palettes on every game, but when I load up SGB compatible games (like pokemon red), it still forces the SGB border and palette. Is there a way to force the "Game Boy: GB" setting at start up? Whenever I switch this setting to GB it sets the screen exactly how I like it, but I want to find a way to have it set that way from the moment I launch goomba.

And if there isn't a way to force that setting, then is there a way to disable all SGB stuff instead? I basically just want every .gb game (even the SGB ones) to start up with the pea soup palette with no SGB border. Thanks again for helping me btw

#7 2021-09-03 4:47:57 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

In gbz80.s, "request_gb_type" is defined and set to 2 by default.  You can change it to 0 to have it start up in GB mode.

#8 2021-09-03 4:58:08 pm

James

It worked! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help me out. I really appreciate it

Also thanks for the emulator. I've literally used it since I was like 14 (I'm 22 now)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer