Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2021-09-03 11:31:30 am

James

How to compile Goomba Color rom

Hello,
I have made a few edits to the source code to see if I can get game boy (.gb) games to default to GB mode with the Pea Soup palette, but I don't know how to use the makefile to compile it. I am currently trying to do so in the devkitpro MSys2 and I can't seem to get it to work. If anyone could give me any advice or steps on how to simply compile the source code into a rom then I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I have also attached a photo of the output when I try to use the "make" command in MSys2 on just the untouched source code.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Untitled.png, Size: 70,955 bytes, Downloads: 39

#2 2021-09-03 12:07:57 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: How to compile Goomba Color rom

I've fixed the Makefile since the last release, find the newest code on Github: https://github.com/Dwedit/goombacolor

Makefile Only: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Dwedi … r/Makefile

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2021-09-03 12:18:10 pm

James

Thank you so much! It works :)

Could you also tell me where I would need to change the code for which mode it defaults to (like defaulting to GB mode instead of GBC or SGB)? I can't seem to find where that's at

#4 2021-09-03 1:21:38 pm

James

I've tried manually editing it in ui.c but that didn't work. I want to be able to load up pokemon red without it bringing up the palette or border. Normally I have to manually switch to GB mode and reset but I want it to boot up this way. I've fixed the palette issue for non-SGB gb games but could you help me figure out how to make GB mode the default on startup so I don't have to switch it every time?

#5 2021-09-03 4:21:06 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Code is in the function "GFX_reset" found in the file "lcd.s"

Look for the comment "@get GBC palette"
Comment out everything (using the '@' character) between that, and up until  "bl paletteinit"

That removes the code that makes it identify the game and pick a palette like a GBC would.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#6 2021-09-03 4:37:37 pm

James

Thank you! That worked for setting the palettes on every game, but when I load up SGB compatible games (like pokemon red), it still forces the SGB border and palette. Is there a way to force the "Game Boy: GB" setting at start up? Whenever I switch this setting to GB it sets the screen exactly how I like it, but I want to find a way to have it set that way from the moment I launch goomba.

And if there isn't a way to force that setting, then is there a way to disable all SGB stuff instead? I basically just want every .gb game (even the SGB ones) to start up with the pea soup palette with no SGB border. Thanks again for helping me btw

#7 2021-09-03 4:47:57 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

In gbz80.s, "request_gb_type" is defined and set to 2 by default.  You can change it to 0 to have it start up in GB mode.

#8 2021-09-03 4:58:08 pm

James

It worked! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help me out. I really appreciate it

Also thanks for the emulator. I've literally used it since I was like 14 (I'm 22 now)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer