Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#61 2007-04-28 1:48:46 pm

Deluxe23

Re: Goomba Color Alpha Testing

i have a ds, supercard and a superkey too.
how can u save in games like wario land, zelda, nyuk1998 ?

#62 2007-04-28 5:07:00 pm

nyuk1998

I actually compiled one game at a time, ran it (the .gba) through the supercard patcher, and when I saved, I used the R+L+B+A+Start method.

#63 2007-04-29 7:07:10 am

PeterSmith

nyuk1998 wrote:

Must be something with a DS Lite.  I have an original DS, Supercard, and a Superkey.  Most games work pretty well, with exception of the 4mb games.

No, it's not related with the DS Lite. Pokemon Crystal does not work well even on a "standard" DS. There goes something wrong  everytime a character talks to me or a text is displayed, it switches the graphics to a kind of special character set with triangles and similar symbols, you can't play because the graphics are destroyed (text is still readable), sometimes if you go into a house the graphics are restored and it looks fine again (until a new text is displayed).
Believe me, it's related with the emulation or whatever code is used here, it seems to be related with font switching or a similar thing.
Pokemon Crystal doesn't work yet.

#64 2007-04-29 4:58:01 pm

nyuk1998

PeterSmith - My bad.  I haven't tried Pokemon Crystal yet, but I'll take your word for it.

#65 2007-05-06 3:36:18 am

Deluxe23

nyuk1998, I used the R+L+B+A+Start method too.
but i save in wario land 1 at the start of the level, and then its crashed and my savegame is "killed" :-(

#66 2007-05-06 3:57:45 am

nyuk1998

Deluxe - did you select "save" in the supercard patcher?

#67 2007-05-17 7:11:14 pm

Mach-X

Glad to see the emu scene is still strong. I am now going to purchase my first new gaming device in almost 15 years, a shiny new DS Lite Onyx.  My question is, will Goomba Color work with devices such as the CycloDS I ordered? And do you know how the CycloDS would handle save states?

#68 2007-05-17 7:17:02 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Goomba Color is a GBA program, and does not work with DS Slot 1 cards.  That doesn't mean there won't eventually be a DS version...

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#69 2007-05-17 7:18:41 pm

Mach-X

From what I understand from the CycloDS documentation, it will allow the running of GBA applications on the DS, I assumed this meant emulators as well. Any thoughts?

#70 2007-05-17 8:42:31 pm

Mach-X

Ok, I found some more info. Apparently the CycloDS is a slot 2 card, so I'm assuming that it forces the DS into GBA mode. But I can't find any information about whether or not it will run without a passme device. I don't really care about running DS roms, but I'm hoping I can get GBA/GBx roms going. I guess I'll just have to wait till it arrives and start messing with it. But thank you for bringing GB Color emulation to the GBA, hopefully it will work for me.

#71 2007-05-25 5:37:34 am

r0ni

DW is there a possibility we could get the option back to play GBC games without SGB borders? 

Also, I think the yellow color scheme for mono games needs to be tweaked, using that on a backlit SP or DS looks absolutely horrible, maybe I'll look at some colors and see if I can find one that would be better...

and just because I'm already typing I thought I'll add this... there is a feature in KiGB that creates the shadow of the original mono GB screen on the emulated image, is there a possibility something like that could be added to goomba?

#72 2007-05-25 7:56:52 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

r0ni wrote:

DW is there a possibility we could get the option back to play GBC games without SGB borders?

I'll assume you mean with SGB Borders?  Because right now GBC games are played without them.
The usual way to get SGB border in GBC games is to boot the game in SGB mode, wait for the border to be transmitted, then reboot in GBC mode keeping the border.  Conker's Pocket Tales is the only game that doesn't like to play that way, since its SGB version is a completely separate game from the GBC version.  If you boot that in SGB mode, it displays a warning message about your saved games are going to be erased, then prompts for a language, then finally loads the border.  Unless goomba kept two saved games for each game (and only conker needs that), you wouldn't be able to get SGB borders in GBC mode for that game.
There's also the SGB+GBC mode which confuses games.  It's basically a GBC which responds to SGB packets sent over the controller port.  Some games support it correctly, loading borders while in GBC mode and everything, some just treat it as a GBC only, while other games (Dragon Warrior Monsters) have incorrect colors in that mode.

r0ni wrote:

Also, I think the yellow color scheme for mono games needs to be tweaked, using that on a backlit SP or DS looks absolutely horrible, maybe I'll look at some colors and see if I can find one that would be better...

Yes, I noticed the yellow mode looks like crap.  Need to find a good photo of the Pea Soup LCD on the game boy to make a better palette.

r0ni wrote:

and just because I'm already typing I thought I'll add this... there is a feature in KiGB that creates the shadow of the original mono GB screen on the emulated image, is there a possibility something like that could be added to goomba?

A shadow of the original screen?  Do you mean like a pixel grid, or each pixel having a shadow underneath it?  A pixel grid is not feasible since the resolution of the GBA isn't high enough for that.  A pixel shadow is not likely since this isn't a pixel drawing emulator, it maps the GBC's background and sprites to GBA background layers and sprites, never drawing individual pixels directly.  Even if a 'pixel shadow' could be done by duplicating the background layer and setting all palette entries to a dark color, I don't think it would look good since the offset isn't fractional.  Then there's the whole thing about lack of enough background layers to properly emulate the GBC, I'm just not really keen on wasting a background layer for a shadow effect.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#73 2007-05-26 6:53:32 am

r0ni

OK I was wrong with what I was saying before, your right borders do only come up on SGB games... but can we get SGB colors without the borders? (I know if I put it in GB mode the borders will go away)

Attached is a shot of metroid 2 title screen in KiGB with some LCD filter thing on that makes it look pretty GB-mono like, maybe those colors could be used for the yellow preset?

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Metroid II - Return of Samus (UE) [!].png, Size: 3,560 bytes, Downloads: 252

#74 2007-05-27 6:20:53 am

Deluxe23

nyuk1998 , yes i've select save!
R+L+B+A+Start method burns my hand :D
there are any answers for the saving problem with supercard?

#75 2007-05-28 11:11:33 am

nyuk1998

Deluxe - Sorry, that's the only way that works for me.

#76 2007-05-30 11:46:16 pm

Deluxe23

i've developed a little frontend for goomba thats "converts" gbc 2 gba
d/l here: (LINK TO FILE REMOVED BY DWEDIT). extract to C:\froomba.
fw.dat, is the newest goomba (dwedit release) software.
much fun :)

Last edited by Deluxe23 (2007-05-30 11:47:16 pm)

#77 2007-05-31 6:29:33 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Your program creates popup ads.  Not acceptable.
I'm not sure whether you had malicious intent or not, but please explain to me why there is an IE control within that VB program in the first place.  Furthermore, the window behaves oddly, reopening after being closed.  If I try to move the window around, it snaps back to its original position.
Also, why is there even a "Loading..." Message?

It looks like this program may have malicious intent, such as collecting ad revenue.  I'm classifying it as adware.  If you want to re-upload a clean version of your tool, then fine.

Last edited by Dwedit (2007-05-31 6:56:53 am)

#78 2007-06-10 8:39:00 pm

BelmontSlayer

Dwedit wrote:

Your program creates popup ads.  Not acceptable. It looks like this program may have malicious intent, such as collecting ad revenue.  I'm classifying it as adware.  If you want to re-upload a clean version of your tool, then fine.

Nice one! I hate the assholes who code viruses and adware/spyware. So, when are you planning to release a beta of your DS version of Goomba Color? You know...the one that doesn't exist?

*wink*

ffiv_signature.jpg

#79 2007-06-21 1:38:49 pm

Deluxe23

assholes?
no spyware....

#80 2007-07-06 6:37:01 am

XyM

Hello Dwedit.

I´m from Spanish and I don`t speak english. So, I only said... Thank You, Goomba Color is great.

#81 2007-07-13 10:57:26 am

john

whenever i tried to complile a gba. file use included gba front or whatever, and flash to my drive yada yada
it doesnt work, 4 our 32 games show up, and pokemon pinball doesnt work!!!

anyways, how do i check my roms? if that couldd be it
or if not?

thank you

the same thing happens with the regular goomba

#82 2007-07-13 5:05:29 pm

Sir Spanky

Will the save state function ever been re-included in goomba? In the version I have of Goomba colour, they don't seem to work at all...

#83 2007-08-24 8:51:53 am

mesterial

Hi there!

I've been searching all the Internet to get a working GBC emulator for my DS Lite (using a Slot-2 CycloDS) and I must say GoomBA Color is the BEST of all!!!!!!

BUT...

In fact, I want such emulator for 2 GBC games : Harry Potter 1 & 2... and they both make ugly glitches!!!  :(

Since it's almost 1.0 version, will they work one day???

Thank you Dwedit for your wonderfull work!!!
Cheers from France!  ;)

#84 2007-09-17 1:18:33 pm

Askot

Hi:

First of all, great emulator, it rules, thanks for supporting it Dwedit!

Now, I going to give you a little of feedback, I' ve tested in 3 roms: KOF '95, World Heroes 2 Jet and Wario Blast! with SGB activated and they looked awsome, but input (pressing Start) or display cursor don't work, u_u!

Thats's all, keep up the good work man!!

#85 2007-09-23 2:56:41 am

Gausen

Askot wrote:

Hi:
Now, I going to give you a little of feedback, I' ve tested in 3 roms: KOF '95, World Heroes 2 Jet and Wario Blast! with SGB activated and they looked awsome, but input (pressing Start) or display cursor don't work, u_u!

Askot, it also happened to me. I believed its beacause the input is somehow readed as P2 input (this is clear for Killer instinct). The only workaround i found is running those games in gb mode (not sgb).

#86 2007-10-14 1:46:07 am

RetroMan

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused about which version to obtain. I find a build #5 on this site. But at http://gbaemu.dcemu.co.uk/files/goombacolor_alpha6.zip there seems to be an Alpha6 release?

Which one to use, which one is official?

Thanks a lot,

Edit: I tried the Alpha 6 release and it runs great. DWEdit, what a good job!

Last edited by RetroMan (2007-10-14 2:18:15 am)

#87 2007-10-14 10:18:40 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

The Test build series is newer than Alpha 6.

#88 2007-10-14 11:01:31 pm

BelmontSlayer

Any idea when you'll release a new build? The last one is almost 6 months old. No rush, just wondering. Thanks!

ffiv_signature.jpg

#89 2007-10-15 12:04:29 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Yeah, that usually means I haven't been working on Goomba Color for 6 months :)

#90 2007-10-31 12:50:05 am

李宁

Hello:
    Dwedit!
    I'm Chinese. And I come from Nintendo World BBS.
    Thanks a lot for your  Goomba Color Alpha Test build 0.5! Most of the Game Boy Color games can be run perfectly! I enjoy it a lot. But when I play the game "Metal Gear Solid", I can't pass stage 3. The screen will become corrupted once you go into the elevator. I have tried that both on my PC and GBA(not GBASP or GBM, using EZflash Cart). The results are the same. Goomba Color Alpha 6 have the same problem in this game. Many of us players are looking forward to your next version. Thanks again!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer