Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2015-03-04 6:42:40 pm

apoptygma

Another form of multi-palette on Donkey Kong Land?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLAHIL4-mQ (around the 54 second mark) shows how DKL displays sprites in a different palette to backgrounds when played on a Gameboy Player
Is this what the 'identify as GBA' is supposed to do in Goomba? Was the GBA or GBP just hard-coded to set these two seperate pallets? This doesn't seem to use the tile system that the Super Game Boy uses.

#2 2015-03-05 7:44:34 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: Another form of multi-palette on Donkey Kong Land?

If you want sprites in a different palette like on a GBC, don't run it in SGB mode, make it run as GB only.  That will make it act like it's running in a Color Game Boy instead of a Super Game Boy.  GB games colorized on a GBC do not have to share palettes for sprites and backgrounds, unlike a SGB which colorizes the whole monochrome screen and can't tell whether something is background or sprites.

"Identify as GBA" changes the contents of some register on bootup, and is only useful to unlock secrets in a few games.  This was used as a gimmick for a few GBC games that came out late in the lifespan of the system.  Examples include the Zelda Oracles Games, Shantae, Wendy Every Witch Way, etc...

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2015-03-06 12:04:15 am

apoptygma

Re: Another form of multi-palette on Donkey Kong Land?

Makes sense now, even "prefer CGB over SGB" won't use the GBC Donkey Kong Land pallet because DKL wasn't coded for GBC, the GBC was coded for DKL. It's confusing initially but I get it now.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer