Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

User passwords may have been corrupted, if you can't log in, use the "Forgot Password" feature. If you still can't log in, contact me and I can try to manually reset your password.

#1 2005-11-09 3:38:42 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Fun with SMS speedhacking

For no real reason at all, I've been working on a program that attempts to locate the idle loops in Sega Master System/Gamegear games, and can apply a speedhack to idle loops, which would speed up the game a lot in certain emulators.  It would work by adding a HALT to the idle loop if the branch is taken.
Right now, it has no user interface, or anything like that at all.

But I'll still show you a screenshot anyway:
attachment.php?item=13&download=1
For anyone out there who understands Z80, it's a dump of all the small backwards loops in Sonic 1, after filtering a few cases that obviously aren't idle loops.  The top one is the real idle loop, it polls iy+0 until the value changes.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon sms_sonic1.png, Size: 4,345 bytes, Downloads: 42,816

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#2 2005-11-09 11:38:51 pm

mudi
Website

Re: Fun with SMS speedhacking

That looks sweet... it annoys me that on my computer GENS takes up so much CPU time, this kind of thing would really reduce required CPU time a lot.

#3 2005-11-10 7:08:05 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

um... Gens is a Genesis emulator, this program concers the Sega Master System and Game Gear.
And PC emulators generally emulate the CPU far faster than they can redraw the screen.  This was made for use with GBA based emulators, where video emulation is free, but CPU emulation is expensive.  And framerates more than double after speedhacking games, as long as there isn't much action on the screen.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#4 2005-11-10 11:49:25 am

mudi
Website

oops, sorry, I guess I misread that as "Master System/Genesis", I've been slightly less than sane this whole week anyway. :P  Gens goes really slow on my computer for some reason.  I use Freeze or something like that for MS/Gamegear, and it seems to run really nicely...

Last edited by mudi (2005-11-10 7:40:31 pm)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer