Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2006-12-15 4:55:42 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Goomba Color Alpha Testing

NOTE: This is a old thread.  Go here for the newest version:
http://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=341

Test build #5

Major changes since the last build is that plenty of code got rewritten.  Many off-by-one-scanline graphical errors were corrected.  Since so much code was rewritten, may possibly be buggy.

* Adjusted timing code, Many off-by-one scanline errors were fixed.  Notably in Zelda oracles, Super Mario Land, Dragon Warrior 3, etc.
* Rewrote scanline-buffer code.  Properly supports split windows, fixes Oracle of Ages intro, Donkey Kong, etc.  Faster too.  Also fixed bugs where window was displayed one scanline too far down.
* Double Speed = Timers now doubles length of vblank period when the GBC uses double speed.  Fixes glitches in Balloon Fight GB.

There is also a version available for people who need 32k save size, instead of the normal version's 64k size.

(build #4 had 897 downloads)
(build #3 had 1216 downloads)
(build #2 had 165 downloads)
(build #1 had 56 downloads)

Note: You probably want goomba.gba, not goomba_32.gba.  Only get goomba_32 if your flash cartridge sucks and you need a 32k save version.

Last edited by Dwedit (2008-02-27 7:26:10 pm)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon goomba_32.gba, Size: 48,548 bytes, Downloads: 2,811
Attachment Icon goomba.gba, Size: 48,540 bytes, Downloads: 4,258
Attachment Icon goombacolorsrc_4_17_2007.zip, Size: 189,241 bytes, Downloads: 3,660

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#2 2006-12-16 7:57:47 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: Goomba Color Alpha Testing

Newer version, no more graphical corruption.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2006-12-24 2:57:04 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Test build #3 released.

#4 2006-12-29 5:12:06 am

jfroco

Hi Dwedit,

Thank you very much for this new release.

I've tested this build and most games work excellent!!! The main issue I've found so far is that in "Conker's Pocket Tale" the main character is invisible.

Best regards from a friend from Chile.

JF

#5 2006-12-31 4:13:51 am

BOZENN

hi Dwedit,

very good emulator. can you improve sgb support. it is very impressive. i am looking for a new release with fixes
thank you very much for your support to gb community

#6 2006-12-31 3:56:19 pm

anon

So far Zelda DX seems to work perfectly, which is alone a wonderful thing - the original
gb version was a favorite of mine, and I will enjoy playing the DX version through on the
GBA.  Also Wario Land II and Mario DX are working perfectly so far.

#7 2007-01-01 6:43:02 pm

anon

Have save states been disabled for this release, or it just an error with my setup / flashcart?

#8 2007-01-01 7:28:26 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

They are still disabled.

#9 2007-01-02 5:32:05 am

anon

I also seem to be experiencing some difficulty with in-game save data on Zelda - sometimes
when I hit all buttons and save, then turn the gba off and back on, it works, but many times
it seems that all my progress since the previous save is missing.

#10 2007-01-02 5:35:20 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

That's a problem with your flash cartridge software, you must allocate 64k of save space for goomba, or else things go very bad.

#11 2007-01-02 2:43:06 pm

anon

oh I see, I am an idiot.
I was giving it 512k, since I'm accustomed to using Pocketnes and the like, and for
whatever reason I assumed that allocating too much space wouldn't matter, only
too little.  But that should fix it, thanks.

#12 2007-01-03 8:08:28 pm

tekno

Dwedit wrote:

That's a problem with your flash cartridge software, you must allocate 64k of save space for goomba, or else things go very bad.

hi i tested the three zeldas , and pokemons and everything is ok but i had the problem that sometimes it saves and others not ,so i allocate 64k as you say , and im testing it.

it`s necesary to use the 64K??
thanks

barranquilla colombia

#13 2007-01-05 11:57:58 am

BOZENN

oh no, donkey kong freezed at level 2-4

#14 2007-01-06 5:16:08 pm

Peg124ePT

Hello Dwedit, I noticed something strange between playing the actual zelda gb cartridge and my friend's supercard mini sd with the zelda gb rom image. I'm using test build #3 of goomba color and I'm also using a good rom.

I'm using my friend's regular GBA (NOT GBA-SP AND/OR GB-MICRO) and with it I'm using an actual zelda gb cartridge (NOT GBC) and an emulated zelda gb rom (AGAIN NOT GBC).

My friend let me use his stuff as I have a supercard lite rumble and a ds lite so I couldn't run the goomba.gba file simply because the supercard lite rumble has no support for GBA roms. =(

To see what I'm talking about, listen to these recorded .wav files and listen for the crane game crane sound carefully, you will notice that the emulated rom image sounds very different from the actual gb cartridge.

(Feel free to download and host them and/or link to them.)

http://www.foxframes.net/import/actual_gb_cartridge.wav

http://www.foxframes.net/import/emulated_rom_image.wav

This also happens when you grab a key that falls to the ground when you knock down the two bad guys into the hole with your sword in the first dungeon the tail cave. And when you go to play all eight collected instruments in front of the wind fish's egg, one of the instruments makes a sound it shouldn't make also in the zelda gb rom image.

As far as I know, this problem is also present in zelda dx for the gbc and possibly effects all gameboy games (including pocket and color) ever made and created.

The same exact "emulated_rom_image" sounds happens when you play it in an emulator for microsoft windows, such as VisualBoyAdvance and possibly all other gameboy emulators (including emulators for other platforms) ever made and created. This also happens in (all versions of) Winamp with the gb plugin.

I'm not sure who to escalate the problem to so I just thought I'd point this particular problem out.

--------------------

But anyway, this emulator is coming along nicely.

Awesome work I must say Dwedit! ;)

#15 2007-01-13 9:06:12 am

hylatio

Tried out the newest build and it works great, but I have one question: How to play SGB roms with it? None of the builders allow you to put the SGB roms onto goomba. Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I can't find any information about it.

#16 2007-01-18 4:46:44 pm

sy567

Do you support stadium2 GBC BIOS?

#17 2007-01-18 5:17:39 pm

Dragonsbrethren
Website

hylatio wrote:

Tried out the newest build and it works great, but I have one question: How to play SGB roms with it? None of the builders allow you to put the SGB roms onto goomba. Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I can't find any information about it.

SGB games work fine with the builders if their extension is just ".gb" like a normal GB ROM.

#18 2007-01-18 6:43:04 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

sy567 wrote:

Do you support stadium2 GBC BIOS?

No.  The Pokemon Stadium 2 GBC Bios is believed to be fake.  I've disassembled it, and nowhere in the the entire code does it check the keypad, check the gameboy game type, or assign colors.
Even if it was the real bios, emulating it would add nothing more than the GBC startup animation.  It's not like the GBA's bios, which provides functions to games.
Okay, so it would add the two tone startup sound, which some games depend on since they don't initialize the sound registers themselves.

#19 2007-01-20 1:01:09 pm

Tekno

hi i own the original tetris game , the one that came along with the first gb , i put the rom tetris in goomba to link it with the original game to play vs , but it doesn't work.
The emu suport link to original games or i have to have to 2 flashs carts and 2 goombas to make the link?
thanks

#20 2007-01-20 1:37:13 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Linkplay is not supported at all.

#21 2007-01-21 12:59:26 am

sy567

Graphic gliches Pokemon Card GB (J) in all mode.
black out mode select screen in GB mode,
and white out mode select screen in other mode.

#22 2007-02-04 7:49:56 am

BOZENN

a new release plz with better sgb support
i am waiting for a long time

#23 2007-02-04 8:05:53 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

The hard part is coming up with how to do SGB support without it taking a long time to redraw each frame.

#24 2007-02-04 8:38:37 pm

Namakemono456

your complaints about release times are hardly necessary.

#25 2007-02-04 9:46:58 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

What's up right now?
Rewrote the raster effects engine for the 4th time.  Still a few things to finish there.
Fixed many "off by one scanline" problems.

#26 2007-02-05 1:41:20 pm

BelmontSlayer

Your continued work on Goomba Color is excellent. I look forward to every new release, so keep up the good work!

ffiv_signature.jpg

#27 2007-02-06 5:34:24 am

Wuggl3z

does cannon fodder work with this release? i know previous versions couldnt run it

#28 2007-03-09 10:35:08 pm

Matt

First, I'd just like to say thanks for working on this and maintaining it.

I want to point out that there does seem to be some sort of missing graphical error with a few GBC games I've tried. Namely, that one guy that mentioned the character being invisible in Conker's Pocket Tales, I've seen a few menus that should be selected by a highlighter not showing up in other places.

Keep up the awesome work. :)

#29 2007-03-20 5:11:15 pm

BelmontSlayer

Dwedit: Any new progress to report on?

ffiv_signature.jpg

#30 2007-03-20 6:09:14 pm

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

A couple rewrites to a portion of the code.  The second rewrite is not finished, and you get flashing stuff when you enter the UI, but it very slightly speeds up the emulator, and also fixes Donkey Kong.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer