Dwedit's Board

Enjoy the board

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome, fellow visitors from other websites!
Whenever you download a file, I'd appreciate it if you posted a nice "Thank You" message, then tell me which site you came from. Thanks.
- Dwedit

#1 2008-06-14 5:17:50 am

morbid27

nesds gcc help

sorry for bugging you earlier if you are still interesed you can look at my port for gcc was planning on implimenting a sofware scaller for it but i dont know arm ads and im sure it would take just five minutes to look it over. its consistent with 9.98 gcc but no newer stuff has been added just tags ect converted over.
thanx

Last edited by morbid27 (2008-06-21 3:10:26 pm)

#2 2008-06-14 5:30:46 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

Re: nesds gcc help

I think a software renderer is a terrible idea.
PocketNES/NESDS use the GBA/NDS's 2D hardware to render sprites and tilemaps, and is deeply designed around that.  If you moved to a software renderer, nothing would be left except for the 6502 CPU core, and mappers.

Did you do the NESDS port yourself?  I can't find anything else on the web about this.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#3 2008-06-14 5:53:38 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

It doesn't compile for me.

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button pressing overlord."

#4 2008-06-14 7:55:03 am

morbid27

ya im kind of new at this but just doing stuff like this helps me learn better how bout if i wrote a seperate scaler for dw 1 2 3 4 final fantasy and punchout would that be possible other than that i looked and i dont see any problems with the other games just seems text games suck to much flicker and the way it scrolls vertically pissses me off (less flicker any sugggestions)

oh ya and mother 1

side scrolling though looks good

sorry ya i did this in 1 day kept everything the same just changed the commands

Last edited by morbid27 (2008-06-14 8:19:28 am)

#5 2008-06-14 8:24:02 am

Dwedit
Administrator
Website

I was thinking about re-doing the scaling code, because split screen effects with different vertical scrolling locations look terrible, and have nasty interlacing flicker.
I made some mockups of what the output might look like in a spreadsheet, but couldn't come up with a good algorithm to actually generate such output.

Are you asking about a scaling method for Mother 1 where it lets unscaled tiles hang down lower to make text look better?  I think that's done with two background layers and carefully manipulating the scroll values.

Please type in standard English.  This isn't an AOL chat room.

#6 2008-06-14 9:29:46 am

morbid27

1. Thats exactly what i was getting at some tiles look darkened every time you move and you can even see the scroll. Also the text scroll seems to get a bad scale effect because it changes as it moves.

2. Sorry that is what i meant by a scalling routing two background layers merged and moved lordus gave me this idea as i asked what i could do for a better look.

Also I did notice that with Pocket nes you seem to somewhat fix that issue and scrolling text is quite nice. Just to implement that in 192 pixels instead I figure would be harder because its not a 2-3 ratio. (but i think possible)

I think I also remeber reading a blog that you said that it was the speedhacks that got Punchout looking horrible.

Like im a fan and i dont mean to bug to much.

#7 2008-06-14 1:43:31 pm

morbid27

I know that its very close to a working copy i think only a few lines need to be changed if you could check it over for consistancy

#8 2008-06-21 3:09:19 pm

morbid27

I've looked over it tons it should compile now the two tasks i didn't comlete are almost a simple cut and paste integrate

arm9boot.s - Nesmain.c
arm7boot.s - arm7main.c

And i think thats everything.

NESDS SDT - GCC:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=97MV1GLA

This is as close as i can get without garbling up the code hopefully this inspires someone to take it up as a project

DONE

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer